“Learning while doing” is a globally proven model that bridges the gap from education to work for both youth and adults. Work-based learning provides participants with the opportunity to combine classroom training with on-the-job learning, and is a continuum of activities that connect classroom learning with real work and career pathways. Apprenticeships are in the continuum of programs that embrace a work-based learning approach and progressively increase workers’ skill levels and wages.
By focusing on skills and combining classroom work with on-the-job training, work-based learning develops the talent needed to drive business competitiveness and a thriving labor market. Policymakers and practitioners need high-quality technical assistance, research, and evaluation to identify and implement successful practices and programs that provide access and opportunity for students, job seekers, and workers.
AIR partners with public and private sector organizations at the national, state, regional, and local levels to advance apprenticeship and work-based learning as a talent development strategy. We have a track record of supporting high-performing collaboratives that unite business, education, workforce, and other partners to deliver a full-spectrum of work-based learning solutions, including apprenticeship.
Our team of policy, technical assistance, research, and evaluation experts:
- Advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in and through apprenticeship and other work-based learning programs to ensure access and opportunity for diverse populations;
- Work with business and industry associations to design, launch, operate, and continuously improve high-quality apprenticeships;
- Coach and support states and partners on how to grow apprenticeship and work-based learning and better integrate those models with the workforce and education systems;
- Conduct research to identify promising practices and strengthen the evidence base for apprenticeship and work-based learning strategies; and
- Design innovative and impactful training and technical assistance for business, education, and workforce to increase understanding and effective use of these programs.