Spotlight on Personalized Learning
The growing national focus on personalized learning is driven by a number of factors: greater diversity and variability of learners in K-12 school systems, increasing availability of “personalized” learning technology platforms and systems, and the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA). ESSA renews the federal government’s commitment to educational equity, giving prominence to Universal Design for Learning and personalized instruction, while shifting more authority to states and districts to design and implement innovative programs. Thirty-nine states have referenced some aspect of personalized learning in their ESSA plans.
What Is Personalized Learning?
Personalized learning can refer to a wide range of models and approaches that provide “a structure that creates flexibility, allow students to progress as they demonstrate mastery of academic content, regardless of time, place, or pace of learning” (U.S. Department of Education). While there are many definitions and frameworks for personalized learning, they coalesce around a few central themes: student-centered learning, student agency, demonstrated mastery of competencies, flexible learning, and supporting the whole child.
AIR’s approach to personalized learning draws upon our rigorous research base and strong field experience in facilitating educational system change efforts across the nation and globe. We support states, districts, and schools as they navigate the unique challenges and opportunities in implementing personalized learning programs, as well as identify areas where the field would benefit from further research.
Learn more about how to develop the core elements of personalized learning, strengthen its foundation, and incorporate technology into your efforts.
What We Offer
AIR offers technical assistance and an interdisciplinary team of experts who will work side-by-side with education leaders to facilitate and grow your personalized learning programs. We also provide rigorous, adaptive research and evaluation expertise to examine implementation and impact of personalized learning approaches.
AIR’s technical assistance services include:
- Personalized learning needs and readiness assessment;
- Differentiated strategic planning, implementation of technical assistance, and coaching driven by stage of readiness, budget, and timeline—and in alignment with local priorities;
- Personalized professional development design and delivery, including associated micro-credentials to support teacher growth and implementation of personalized learning approaches; and
- Facilitation of communities of practice, peer-to-peer learning, and networked improvement communities focused on personalized learning.
AIR’s research and evaluation capabilities allow for rigorous and in-depth study of personalized learning and include:
- Studying and evaluating the implementation and impact of personalized learning, as well as contributing to the evidence base for personalized learning;
- Developing measures of student learning that can be used as part of (existing) personalized learning strategies; and
- Studying and evaluating programs designed to prepare and support educators as they implement personalized learning approaches.