Labor Market Supply and Demand in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras: Leveraging Data to Build an Efficient Labor Market
The Salvadoran, Guatemalan, and Honduran economies face multiple labor market barriers, including economic stagnation, labor market inefficiency and segmentation, and gang violence. These barriers force prime-age workers to seek opportunities elsewhere. These countries lack adequate labor market information (LMI) systems to promote efficient labor market transactions and clearing which would break down market barriers and help stem outmigration.
I was really surprised and impressed with the level of communication and collaboration between institutions in Honduras. This is the first time government agencies, universities, and the private sector met to discuss labor market information.
-Honduras Labor Secretariat Representative
Through a grant from the U.S. Department of Labor’s International Labor Affairs Bureau, AIR implemented the project Labor Market Supply and Demand in El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras: Leveraging Data to Build an Efficient Labor Market. Through this project, AIR worked with each country to produce reliable, comprehensive, and high-quality labor market information. These systems will enable prospective employees to access relevant information about potential jobs while also providing employers with the information they need to quickly and effectively fill open positions with skilled workers.
One of the main components of this project was to facilitate the creation of a pilot establishment survey that captured labor demand data in high-growth economic sectors. AIR partnered with local private sector institutions to implement pilot establishment surveys in the tourism and food and beverage production sectors in each of the three countries (see below). The information collected in these surveys is a critical input for vocational training and educational institutions to update their curricula to match the current needs of the labor market and thus improve the job prospects and earning potential of their graduates.
Pilot Establishment Surveys (PDFs)
Tourism Sector surveys
- Establishment Survey in the Hotel Sector in Honduras Preliminary Results (February 2021)
- Establishment Survey in the Hotel Sector in Guatemala Summary Report (June 2020)
- Establishment Survey in the Tourism Sector in El Salvador Preliminary Results (May 2021)
- Encuesta de Establecimientos en el Sector Hotelero de Honduras - Resultados Preliminares (Febrero 2021)
- Encuesta de Establecimiento en el Sector Hotelero en Guatemala - Resultados Preliminares (Junio 2020)
- Encuesta de establecimientos en el Sector Turístico de El Salvador - Resultados preliminares (Mayo 2021)
Food and Beverage Sector surveys
- Establishment Survey in the Food and Beverage Sector in Honduras - Full Report (April 2022)
- Establishment Survey in the Food and Beverage Sector in Guatemala - Full Report (April 2022)
- Establishment Survey in the Food and Beverage Sector in El Salvador - Full Report (April 2022)
- Encuesta de Establecimientos en el Sector de Alimentos y Bebidas de Honduras - Informe Completo (Abril 2022)
- Encuesta de Establecimientos en el Sector de Alimentos y Bebidas de Guatemala - Informe Completo (Abril 2022)
- Encuesta de Establecimientos en el Sector de Alimentos y Bebidas de El Salvador - Informe Completo (Abril 2022)