AIR Experts to Present at the 22nd Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health
Washington, D.C. – American Institutes for Research (AIR) experts will present on a variety of mental health and trauma topics at the 22nd Annual Conference on Advancing School Mental Health, taking place October 19-21, 2017, at the Gaylord National Resort and Conference Center in National Harbor, Maryland.
The theme of the conference is “Promoting School Mental Health and Positive School Climate,” and it provides 1,200 participants—including educators, primary care providers, researchers and clinicians—with the opportunity to grow their knowledge and skills on school mental health practices, research, training and policy. It is hosted by the Center for School Mental Health (CSMH) in the University of Maryland School of Medicine, and the National Community of Practice on Collaborative School Behavioral Health. The mission of CSMH is to strengthen policies and programs in school mental health towards improving the learning and promoting the success of America's youth.
Presentations by AIR staff include:
Thursday, October 19, 2017
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM EDT
- Conference Session 2.3: Building State and Local Capacity to Support Sustainability of School Mental Health
12:10 – 1:10: PM EDT
- Lunch Learning Session 11: American Institutes for Research/National Resource Center for Mental Health Promotion and Youth Violence Prevention (NRC)
AIR Presenter/Author: Sandra Williamson
2:35 - 3:35 PM EDT
- Conference Session 4.1: How Trauma-Informed Are We? A Tool for Measuring Extent of Trauma-Informed Care
AIR Presenter/Author: Kathleen Guarino
3:50 - 5:20 PM EDT
- Advanced Practice Skills Workshop 12: Exploring Implicit Bias and Healing: "Courageous Conversations" to Promote Safe and Supportive Learning Environments and Community:
AIR Presenters/Authors: Ken Martinez & Karen Francis
- Advanced Practice Skills Workshop 13: Strategic Financing for Multi-Tiered School Mental Health Services
AIR Presenters/Authors: Frank Rider & Elizabeth Freeman
Friday, October 20, 2017
9:30 - 10:30 AM EDT
- Conference Session 5.9: Promoting Student Mental Health and Preventing Youth Violence Using the Safe Schools/Healthy Students Comprehensive Framework
AIR Presenters/Authors: Kelly Wells & Mary Thorngren
Saturday, October 21, 2017
8:30 AM - 12:00 PM EDT
- Intensive Training Workshops 1: Trauma-Sensitive Schools Training Package: A Resource for Leaders
AIR Presenters/Authors: Kathleen Guarino & Sandra Williamson
Learn more about the conference at Center for School Mental Health website.
Established in 1946, with headquarters in Washington, D.C., the American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization that conducts behavioral and social science research and delivers technical assistance both domestically and internationally in the areas of health, education, and workforce productivity. For more information, visit www.air.org.