Early Childhood and Child Development
Research shows that children are more successful in school and beyond if they are given a strong foundation in the earliest years of their lives. We work with early childhood service providers and policymakers nationwide to find solutions to practical challenges in early childhood education and care. We address major questions in the early childhood field, such as:
- How can the quality of early educator practices and early education and care programs be improved?
- How do early learning experiences and school readiness approaches affect young children’s language, literacy, early mathematics, and social-emotional skills?
- What types of professional development best support teachers’ and caregivers’ needs?
- Do kindergarten entry assessments measure children’s school readiness in intended domains?
Our work includes technical assistance, measurement and data collection, and research and evaluation where we work closely with clients, states, and school districts to define key policy areas, build content understanding, translate research to practice, and identify opportunities for technical support and growth. We also work with clients across the entire range of study planning, implementation, and interpreting data.
AIR offers a range of services:
Research and Evaluation
- Experimental and quasi-experimental impact studies
- Formative and implementation evaluation
- Policy analysis
- Literature reviews and meta-analysis
- Cost analyses and cost estimates
- Translation of research to practice
- Strategic planning
- Training facilitation
- Program standards articulation and alignment
- Support child-serving agencies
Measurement and Data Collection
- Integration of existing data sources
- Development of child assessments
- Validation of quality rating systems and child assessments
- Large-scale data collection, including classroom observations and child assessments