Workforce Development and Human Capital Solutions at AIR
The Workforce Development and Human Capital Solutions practice area at AIR drives innovation in programs that help workers develop skills, find good jobs, and thrive in them. We also specialize in high quality human capital solutions to connect employers with the right talent.
By drawing on and growing existing research, rigorously testing new innovations, and helping partners apply proven practice, we help our clients work more effectively and improve program practice and impacts.
WHAT WE DO
We help federal, state, and local workforce agencies, community colleges, post-secondary educational institutions, adult education providers, community-based organizations, foundations, and employers improve their work:
We build capacity for innovative approaches, such as human-centered design and behavioral science, and other evidence-based technical assistance for rapid program improvement.
We apply human-centered design, behavioral science, participatory multi-stakeholder facilitated sessions, co-interpretation of data, and other proven processes to improve programs.
- In California, AIR is conducting webinars and workshops in human-centered design to help workforce boards and adult education providers build capacity for system redesign and alignment.
- In partnership with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Chief Evaluation office, our staff are leveraging insights from behavioral science to improve worker and/or employer engagement with workforce programs (e.g. the Trade Adjustment Assistance program and the Reemployment and Eligibility Assessment program).
- We provide evidence-based technical assistance in social-emotional learning, trauma-informed programming, vocational rehabilitation, and adult education to help foster employability skills for populations facing barriers to employment.
- Our industrial organizational experts provide job analysis, validation, assessment, and training supports to help employers translate their needs into effective processes for finding and retaining talent.
We offer tools and supports for data-driven decision making.
- AIR provides training and technical assistance for state agencies and providers on how to use existing data systems for evaluation and continuous improvement (e.g., for 20 years we have provided technical assistance and training to adult education providers on how to leverage the National Report System).
- In states like Colorado and Texas, AIR brings expertise in using new types of data, including real-time aggregated data on job openings (e.g., Burning Glass data) and sophisticated GIS mapping overlaying diverse data to help guide individual and agency investments in training programs.
- We manage multiple learning networks, networked improvement communities, and communities of practice to connect peer groups and facilitate collaborative learning.
We conduct rigorous research on what works, where, when, and for whom.
- AIR has conducted quasi-experimental evaluations, policy analyses, and program assessment of career pathways programs in Maine, Michigan, Illinois, and numerous other states to assess impacts and implementation.
- We conduct longitudinal studies on the labor market returns to post-secondary education (Gates Foundation); are beginning an examination of the returns to credentialed versus non-credentialed training (ECMC Foundation); and are conducting randomized controlled trials testing the application of behavioral insights to labor programs (Department of Labor Chief Evaluation Office).
- Our experts have decades of experience in evaluation design and execution, as well as deep survey and qualitative data collection capacity.
HOW WE WORK
We help frame problems and collaboratively work to find solutions to practical and difficult challenges that fit our clients’ needs and contexts. We work quickly and flexibly, and invest in building partner capacity along the way.
INTERESTED IN COLLABORATING?