Quiz: How Well Do You Know Health Insurance Terms?
AIR designed the Health Insurance Literacy Measure survey to better understand which areas Americans need more assistance and education. In a recent round of surveys, we found participants correctly answered 60 percent of knowledge and skills questions on average. While many could define “premium” (81 percent), far fewer could describe an HMO (50 percent). Want to test your knowledge? Answer this sampling of questions.
1. An appeal is: A request to your health plan to take another look at their decision about coverage of treatment you received.
2. What is generally true of health maintenance organizations (HMOs)? You need a referral to see a specialist, like a heart doctor AND you must select a primary care doctor from a list provided by your health plan.
3. If a person visits the doctor, under which type of plan will they be expected to pay the most for the doctor’s visit? Bronze (the plan with the lowest premium payment).
4. What is your part of the bill (coinsurance)? $50 (20% of $200=$40 + 10% of $100=$10, and $40 + $10=$50)
5. What is the best way to find out if a service will be covered by your health plan? Call the health plan’s member services department.