International Education Standards and Assessment
Through our assessment services, AIR works together with countries and partner organizations to develop appropriate expectations of student performance, create instructional materials aligned to learning standards, measure student learning, and apply the data to help teachers teach more effectively.
AIR relies on three critical building blocks to create schools that help students realize their potential:
- Achievement standards that define the skills students need to attain in literacy, numeracy and other key subjects
- Assessment methods to collect data that measure students’ academic growth
- Data processes that inform curriculum and instruction at the school level and policy decisions at the Ministry level
Assessment of Accelerated Development of Literacy, Numeracy and Life Skills among First Cycle Learners in Ethiopia
UNICEF has contracted AIR to help provide the knowledge and skills that Ethiopian teachers need to improve learner outcomes in Amharic and English reading, math, and environmental science by providing them with simple ways of measuring learners’ progress that are adapted to the reality of overcrowded classes and multiple levels of learners.
AIR, in close collaboration with local educators, has led the development and implementation of standards and assessments in grades 1 through 11. Research studies on best teaching practices based on the results of the summative achievement tests now are disseminated nationally.
AIR is developing a benchmarking tool as part of the World Bank’s System Assessment and Benchmarking for Education Results project that will allow countries to analyze their progress in implementing curriculum based learning standards. The tool will be developed in conjunction with extensive research on the conditions and policies needed to promote standards-based education systems.
International Education Assessments (AIR Education Program)
- Progress in International Reading Literacy Study (PIRLS)
- Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC)
- Program for International Student Assessment (PISA)
- Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS)