Diversity and Inclusion
Diversity in our mission - our culture - our people - our work
AIR’s mission is to conduct and apply the best behavioral and social science research and evaluation towards improving peoples’ lives, with a special emphasis on the disadvantaged. Making diversity a priority is critical to achieving our mission. Read our CEO’s blog post on diversity and inclusion at AIR >>
Mission Critical: AIR Staff on the Importance of Diversity and Inclusion
Painting with a full palette. Diversity is not defined just by race or gender. It encompasses the whole human experience — age, culture, education, skills, life stories. Inclusion celebrates differences so that talented people from any background can contribute to a richer work environment, more useful and effective research and services, and greater professional potential.
Four pillars of diversity and inclusion at AIR
1. Positive work environment - maximizing individual potential and fostering a positive, culturally aware work environment
2. Cultural competence in our work - delivering more useful research and services that reflect an understanding of the culture and world view of our clients and audiences
3. Mission-driven work - leading the field of behavioral and social science research with our focus on diversity and inclusion in our brand and in research themes addressing the changing demographics of our nation and the world
4. Growth and sustainability - supporting growth for the organization, from reaching underrepresented and emerging markets to professional development and personal potential
Annual AIR Diversity & Inclusion Report
The Diversity & Inclusion Annual Report reflects many of the foundation building strides AIR has made, including employee-driven activities that are now embedded in our culture. As an organization, AIR is attempting to infuse Diversity & Inclusion into everything we do.
The purpose of this report is to:
- Increase awareness about AIR’s investment and efforts in Diversity & Inclusion
- Increase understanding about AIR’s approach and strategy
- Share information about selected metrics
- Recognize the contributions of members on the Diversity & Inclusion Council and in AIR’s Employee Resource Groups
Employee Resource Groups
Staff members come together to promote cultural awareness, professional development, collegial support and greater visibility for diversity at AIR.
Diversity and Inclusion Council
The Council is responsible for shaping the direction and strategies for AIR's diversity goals and includes representatives from across the organization. Learn more about the AIR Diversity & Inclusion Council and its important work in Diversity in Action Magazine.
Council Vice Chair
As an organization, we are committed to meeting federal and state regulatory mandates and to ensuring nondiscrimination based on race, color, national origin, gender, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, religion or creed.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please email Erica Nicholson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (202) 403-5846.
AIR is committed to providing accessible information for all of our visitors regardless of disability, device or platform. Our standard is to meet at minimum WCAG level A guidelines in all cases and AA wherever possible. For those exceptions when content may not readily be available in accessible format, or for any user requiring additional assistance, we will provide an accessible version upon request.