Supporting International STEM Education
The global economy is changing rapidly in response to advancements in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). Nations wanting to keep pace must ensure their educational systems can continually adapt to market demands and develop technically knowledgeable workforces of sufficient size to meet the country’s needs. Preparing today’s students for the jobs of tomorrow requires (1) teachers who can prepare STEM learners to excel in a globally competitive marketplace, and (2) educational systems that are intentional about expanding STEM education to prepare a critical mass of qualified graduates.
AIR's researchers, evaluators, and policy and practice specialists work with a diverse set of clients to support improved access, engagement, and success in STEM teaching and learning pathways for all individuals, PreK-12 and beyond. Our experts integrate research and evaluation to inform evidence-based STEM policies and practices, and empower leaders to effect deep change leading to a critical mass of STEM graduates who can sustain innovation and discovery.
The breadth and depth of our STEM portfolio includes projects that do the following:
- Guide and inform collaborations that foster national and local ecosystems of STEM learning
- Examine factors that affect diverse groups of individuals' participation, engagement, and success in STEM pathways
- Explore the STEM learning experiences that all students need to develop the capacity for lifelong learning
- Evaluate the impact of mathematics curriculum on student learning
- Support schools and districts with evidence-based strategies for STEM teacher preparation and professional development
- Provide STEM content expertise and statistical analysis for national and international educational assessments and surveys
- Test the effectiveness of programs that aim to improve STEM teaching and learning through rigorous and complex evaluations
As one of the world's largest behavioral and social science research and evaluation organizations, AIR uses the best science available to bring the most effective ideas and approaches to enhancing everyday life. Internationally, we strive to improve the quality and relevance of social, economic, and education programs in developing countries while helping open up equitable access for all. In this regard, leveraging STEM in opening up equitable access to high quality education is AIR’s new frontier of sustainable international development. Explore all our STEM resources.